Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Finally I'm beginning this saga/3-2-10

Hi everyone. It was my intention to begin blogging at the first of the year but never had the energy at the end of the day or skill to begin. Fortunately, Kelli came over and showed me how easy it is.
I started out the year in Greenville SC visiting my daughter Alison over the Christmas holiday and ended up somewhat stranded due to the weather conditions up north. Oh my!! Then on 1-7-10 I received multiple phone calls and texts telling me about the Pet Smart roof collapse and the urgent need to pull cats from SC Animal Control because the animals from Pet Smart were being taken to AC. My house was empty of cats because I knew I would be away so I told the volunteers to take up to 10 to my house for safety. As it turned out we pulled 8 and because of a city license for one, a micro chip on another, and checking the neighborhood that one was picked up in, we were able to return 3 to their homes very quickly.
I left SC on the 8th and drove from Greenville to Atlanta to Birmingham to Memphis to St. Louis to Kansas City to Omaha and finally arrived home in Sioux City on the 9th. During the trip home I was on the phone with Jim Johnson asking for help with a retail space to adopt cats from and in very short order Jim and I found and agreed to a perfect location. I had the USDA inspector check out the locations to make sure I would be allowed to use the space and with minor changes the Cat Adoption Center opened its doors in late January. We had our first adoption almost immediately and during the month of February we had 24 adoptions. Fabulous cats and kittens, completely vetted, are now in wonderful new homes.

I love what Siouxland Paw Prints Rescue has accomplished since it started on June 2,2008. Each day is never what I expect and that is why blogging about each day sounded like it might be of interest to all of our friends and families.

So, today is March 2, 2010, the store is closed except by appointment or chance, and we have an ad in the SC Journal. I started my day at 7ish with the usual morning activities followed by a great cup of coffee that my husband makes each morning. I need it fast to get me going so I put 2 ice cubes in it to make it drinkable immediately. I go sit in my chair with the newspaper and scan the headlines and generally find a few articles to read. I always read my horoscope hoping its going to share good news of a good day. Then to the shower and I'm off.

Many of the cats at the store are in the window waiting for my arrival. It is such a great welcome and makes me smile and laugh and eager to be with them. The store is home to them and they all love the place. If you haven't come by please do and check out why it is such a happy cat place.

The cats all have dry food and water available throughout each day but get canned food each morning and evening. When they come to SPPR they are frequently malnurished, depressed, or stressed, and enjoyable food helps them settle in quickly. They get love and attention and are playful and full of fun.

While they eat I clean litter boxes and sweep, vaccuum, do dishes, work on files, enter data in the computer, all the while being entertained by the antics of the cats. I've tried sewing cat toys at the store and get lots of help from the kids, especially if cat nip is involved.

The other night I had a container of cat nip for toys tucked away in a bag, in a box, with a kennel on top of the box, and sometime during the night the little stinkers broke into it and had a party. A kitty cam would have been very entertaining!! There was cat nip everywhere.

When I leave the store I generally have a bag of garbage (I take it home to put in our trash bin to save money), and several loads of laundry.

Today when I left the store I received a phone call from a lady that took in a pregnant stray. She had already decided to keep the cat and had it to the vet. Lucky cat - it had respirtory infection and an eye issue and had a convenia shot and needed eye drops. She was looking for someone to take the kittens when they were old enough. Since the cat wasn't very far into her pregnancy I offered to have her spayed and the kittens aborted. I hate doing this but knowing that thousands of cats are euthanised in SC every year and that we have an abundance of kittens all year it was decided that spaying her would be the best option.

It is my dream and hopefully many others to have a managable cat population that is healthy and spayed or neutered. There will never be a shortage of cats or kittens. They will never become and exclusive pet for the rich. Not going to happen but not euthanizing thousands here in SC is a mission of Siouxland Paw Prints Rescue.

I met with Kelli at my house to figure out the web site. I purchased a Go Daddy site 1 1/2 years ago and haven't had the skill to work it. Computers are not my thing. Thank you Kelli!!

My husband just called. He calls me most days at 11:45 to check in with me and see how things are going. We have been married for 40 years and I think its pretty cool that he calls.

I will be heading back to the store to continue the cleaning process and check on the kids. About 2-3 o'clock I'll head over to Viola's to feed her cats, soon to be SPPR's. I'll tell you all about Viola tomorrow. She is a cool lady with health issues and needs help with her herd of kids.

I have a 3:30 appointment at the store to show the cats. Word is out because of the recent television interviews. I would like to have at least 40 or more adoptions monthly. It's doable. I need everyone to spread the word about our new location.

After the appointment, I need to go home and clean house and start cleaning and refreshing a wonderful old desk Lar and I bought in Omaha at an antique store on saturday. I think it would be nice if I found the time to make supper too.

Have a great day everyone. Remember, a house isn't a home without a cat or kitten.

No comments:

Post a Comment