Saturday, March 20, 2010

Tues, Wed, Thurs March 9,10,11th

I am so behind in my journal – I don’t know if I will be able to catch up. Every day is so packed that I wish I could divide myself into at least four people. Don’t get me wrong – I love what I am doing and feel very good and fortunate to be able to do what I do for the rescue. It was my intent to keep an accurate accounting of my days but each days journal entry takes me at least an hour.

I started to carry around a little notebook to take notes through out the day so I wouldn’t have trouble remembering the day at the end of the day. Unfortunately, I didn’t start with the notebook until the 12th. Recalling each day without notes is so hard.

Tuesday and Wednesday are a big blurr – sorry. What I remember is the great volunteers that came into the store to assist with the daily chores and activities. Leah and Sharon have both been blessings – thanks ladies.

It was either tuesday or wednesday that I asked them to please teach little “Christmas”, the little large patch calico kitten of 10 weeks to not climb up legs to get attention. She would come and climb up the backs of my legs, up my back, and settle on my shoulders and then I would reach up to get her, give her some love and put her down on the floor. She thought it was a great game and did it over and over. I know she was lonely without her siblings and needed a fun family to give her more attention than I could.

Leah and Sharon worked with her and when they thought she actually got it a wonderful family came in and adopted her. I didn’t get to meet them but the ladies reported that it was an excellant placement.

On Wednesday Tim, Tom and Jerry, Viola’s kids, were sceduled to see the vet at 3:50. It was an event! They were comfortable with me and getting there with everyone at the store but. . .one of the vet techs thought she had a hold of Tim but Tim got away from her when he was being weighed and ran through the back of the clinic and ended up in the doctors bathroom. He was frantic and raced about the room and knocked everything on a shelf to the floor – almost. Quick thinking on the part of the tech as she reached successfully across the room saving the treasured dinosaur bone that Dr. Salsbury treasured inches from the floor where it probably would have shattered into many pieces. There is a god – don’t ever doubt it.

Tim was sedated, vaccinated, and returned to his carrier. Tom and Jerry were both leashed prior to leaving the exam room – actually – Tom never left the exam room – Jerry was leashed and I went with him to the scale and back to the room.

I wonder if the dinosaur bone is still on the shelf?

Thursday – let me think for a minute. It was a rather quiet morning.

Around 3:00 a teacher came into the store. She was looking for a companion for her mom. After about 30 to 40 minutes she thought she could choose between Velvet and Teva but wanted to leave the decision up to her mom. She needed to go pick her kids up from school and would swing by and pick up her mom and come back to the store.

Velvet is a great girl but would prefer to be the Queen of any home and Teva who came from a home with other cats and dogs, and moved to Sioux City from Oregon when her owner died, needed the loving touch of somebody with time and a comfortable lap.

I made a deal with the daughter in advance. No matter which cat was chosen a donation that fit her budget would be enough. I felt it was more important to place one of the kids in this family.

Teva, who hadn’t allowed anyone to hold her other than me, went right to this lady’s lap as if she had known her forever. She was so relaxed and comfortable that tears came to my eyes. It was the right fit – Teva had a new family.

I worry about all the kids and feel I know what they need and sense what they are feeling and thinking. Strange? I don’t think so.

The new shipment of microchips arrived sometime during the day and remember it’s Thursday – Survivors on. Please don’t ever call me on Thursday nights until after Survivor or 8:00 p.m. Thank you.

The day didn’t end with the show – I organized the micro-chips in numerical order and worked signing and addressing envelopes for the Donation Request Letter. I’ve signed over 200 letters in hopes of getting enough donations to keep the store open and going full speed ahead. We will stay open but the more money that comes in the more cats we can vet and save. It’s all about happy, healthy, socialized furry friends.

Thank you to everyone for caring and sharing. It is worth it. I promise no funds are wasted or misused in any way. I can not accomplish the mission by myself – it can only be done together.

No comments:

Post a Comment