Wednesday, March 3, 2010

March 3, 2010 The day after the KTIV story

I recorded the news story and watched it much later. For some reason it made me cry. I need to accomplish the goal of 500 spay/neuters this year and future years and I'm afraid I won't be able to. $62,500 for 500 spays/neuters. To some not a huge amount. Plenty of Siouxlanders have mega bucks and if Opra or another super star called them to help they would gladly send a check because nobody says no to Opra. Me - they say no to.

I got up early this morning -6:45 - had my coffee and checked the papers headlines. I thought if I got up early I could start on the desk sitting in the front entry. It will make me and for sure Lar crazy if it sits there and doesn't get worked on. So with cut up t-shirts in hand I managed to clean many years of dust and dirt exposing the beautiful wood grain. Let it rest and get up early again tomorrow.

I was at the store by 9:30 with all the kids waiting for me to arrive. They were hungry and followed me back to the food prep area. I started the morning chores and the first calls started to come in. I lost count but I would say at least 20. Most were from people needing help with the expense of spaying or neutering. Others know me and wanted to congratulate me on a great news interview. No one offered money to help.

People started to stop in asking for help - one woman drove down from Akron. She lives on a farm and she has 10-12 cats she needs help with and shared that her elderly neighbors have at least 100 cats and they are starting to come to her place and she is afraid of what is going to happen.

I need to pursue ferrel/farm cat spay/neuter grant monies so these problems can be addressed. Marcie P was in the store at the time and is helping me research grants, etc. With time we will find help.

Stephanie, my eldest daughter living in Seattle called to tell me she set up SPPR on Google. She explained that now when anyone googles animal rescue, etc.in Sioux City, SPPR will magically show up. Thank you Steph.

Another lady came in wanting help with her male cat. She had been to the vet but because only one testicle had dropped would require surgery to remove the other and she couldn't afford it. She had already had the cat vaccinated and blood tested so I called the vet and scheduled the surgery. She hugged me and thanked me and left. Nice lady - I'm glad she stopped by.

One of the calls was from a gentleman calling from work down on Harbor Drive. A young cat was waiting by the building when he got to work and would I take the cat. He could bring it to the store at lunch time. He said it was friendly and let him hold and pet her. He will call me when he is on his way to the store.

I dashed to the vet to pick up Sabrina 2 - she was pregnant and spayed yesterday and ready to come home. She did very well. She is only 9 months old and very sweet and will make somebody and great companion.

Our gentleman with the cat arrived around 2:00 with the cutest 12-14 week old calico kitten. So sweet. He was so happy to see the news story and have a safe friendly environment for the kitten. He also presented SPPR with a $50.00 donation. Thank you Chad. Every penny helps and makes a big difference. Your little girl goes to the vet in the morning for a vet check, blood test, shots and her microchip. She's so prescious she will probably be adopted by the weekend.

I needed a break so I dashed home to have a frozen vegetarian dinner and let Cooper, our 12 year old dog, out to do his business and rest for 30 minutes. Some day I would like to take a nap and not have a thing to do.

It was time to go to Viola's to feed the cats and visit her. She is doing so much better and I think she is healing and may surprise us all. Meanwhile the 5 remaining cats need to get in carriers and come with me. The 3 boys will be easy but that darn Nancy and the little black and white 6 month old are being difficult. I don't want to live trap them but I may have to. Tomorrow I have to get them into my kennels.

Back at the store by 4:00 - more drop ins and many more phone calls. A couple dropped in and need help with 20 or more cats in a residential neighborhood on the northside. They come out at sundown and will call me to come check it out tomorrow evening. Slowly we will see if we can help.

It is estimated that Sioux City has more than 17,000 cats living on the streets in the sewers and wherever they can find a home. It is truly an emergency. Can anyone hear me and help.

I was at the store until 7:00 - fed the kids supper and cleaned the litter boxes one more time - did a little paper work - I have got to get caught up with the new cat files and organize the microchip records.

I came home to Red Pepper Tomato Soup and a terrific grilled cheese sandwich. Thanks Lar.

No comments:

Post a Comment