Saturday, March 20, 2010

Friday, March 12th

It is going to be a long day – here I go!

I couldn’t remember if I was suspose to meet Dustin and Shari at the store at 9:00 or 10:00 so - when I arrived at the store at 9:05 I thought it must be 10:00 so – when the phone rang and it was George asking to meet for coffee I said yes thinking I had 30 to 45 minutes. Well I didn’t. Dustin called at 9:20 just as my coffee was being poured at Perkins to let me know they were at the store and did I forget. I felt terrible and told them I goofed and could they go have coffee and meet me at 10:00. No problem. I still felt bad.

As soon as we were all at the store, I gave them a store key so we would never have a problem again. I want a long lasting relationship with Dustin and Shari. They are exceptional people and everyone should have someone like them in their lives.

While I was at coffee with George, I had talked to him about creating a wood plaque base for these really cool dog bone tiles that I was given while in North Carolina. Dustin gave me the idea of placing the tiles on a wood base with an attractive hook to hang leashes, etc on that could be hung on a wall to organize pet stuff. I think it’s a great idea and they would sell.

George came in to get the sample tile and a drawing of what was in my mind.

I’m always buying “Arts and Crafts” magazine and “Hog Hill Pottery” advertises in most issues. I have always admired their pottery and decided I wanted to go to their studio while visiting my daughter, Alison, in South Carolina. So, together with a childhood friend of mine that lives in the area and my GPS we headed out. It didn’t look so far on the map. Anyway, we drove and drove through beautiful mountains until off in the distance I saw some chimneys and said “that has to be it”. It was.

A husband and wife team create magnificent pieces. I splurged and bought two pieces and we had a great time visiting. They hadn’t ever had somebody from Iowa show up on their doorstep before. I shared that I co-founded Siouxland Paw Prints Rescue and our mission.

They asked if they could donate some very special tiles to me to help raise funds. I was not about to say no.

The story goes that they created these special tiles for a Nascar Superstars dogs bathroom. Yes, I said dogs bathroom. And they would love for me to take them and create something that would help raise funds for SPPR.

I brought home 24 really great signed tiles and with Dustin’s idea and George’s craftsmanship the public will have a chance to buy something very special in the very near future. My plan is to post them on the web site for everyone to see and if interested place an order.

George left the store with the tile and drawing by 10:00 and I left to meet Kelly at Staples to get some ideas for things we need at the store.

Kelly knowing how much Lar loves home cooking had brought a great casserole and a fresh loaf of banana bread for Lar and I to have for supper. There isn’t much Kelly can’t do really well.

By 11:30 I was at the Singing Hills Animal Hospital with Mary Ann. She was due for a checkup and a rabies vaccination. She’s my best girl and has gum and teeth troubles and will have to go back for some teeth cleaning and possibly an extraction or two.

At home I worked on laundry and the donation request letters. I am signing each letter and hoping they will have a good response to help us with future vet expenses.

Back at the store by 1:30 I found a very clean and neat store and Leah working on data entry so I headed back home to continue the letter work and more laundry until 3:00. Leah had to head out and the store is open until 5:00, sometimes 6:00 on Fridays.

Fridays are date night for Lar and I and we generally go to a movie and dinner. Tonight we went to see Green Zone. Not bad. We went down to the store afterwards to tuck everyone in. Tim, Tom, and Jerry, Viola’s cats, have been released from their room and are now allowed to roam the store with everyone. This is there first night out and I wanted to make sure they were doing okay. The three were in the room resting and feeling safe so I closed the door for the night.

It was only around 10:00 but I couldn’t sleep. I continued working on the letters for the mailing until about 11:30 before going to bed. It’s going to be a short night.

No comments:

Post a Comment