Thursday, March 18, 2010

Monday, March 8

All my days start out pretty much the same – but today Dustin and Shari met me at the store at 9:00 to volunteer and help by doing the morning chores and help with data entry stuff. They are wonderful and a great team and I look forward to working with them for a long time.

The four kittens that came in Sunday afternoon, three of which were pre-adopted in the first 45 minutes, were taken to the vet for their health exams.

They were all tested negative, given Rabies shots and microchipped. They are the cutest, sweetest little things and all will have great new homes.

Before heading back to the store I stopped at Lar’s office to pick up more adoption forms. I can’t make legal size copies at the store so I used his copier. Thanks Lar.

Dustin had brought a lazer light for the kids to play with. They were having so much fun and everyone was in on the game and we all laughed at there antics. The kittens joined the fun and ran and played with the big kids for a while and then I gave them each their combination vaccinations. There first baby boosters.

About noon our Chereokee mom and son came in to pick up there two new family members. They didn’t have a carrier but did come with a box that I cut holes in. They were soon loaded and headed to their new home. Lucky kids.

At the same time Clydes new mom came in to pick him up. He will be so spoiled and loved. He will give her so much love and attention in exchange and I am sure they will be best buds for years.

Larry F called to let us know that they would be coming by between 3:15 and 3:30. Perfect timing. Their kitten Rocky and the remaining kitten, Christmas will probably take a long nap to recover from the lazer light fun.

I received a call about 2:00 from a party in SSC. It seems that somebody moved out of a rental property and left behing a mom with three babies. They were left alone without food or water for several days before the landlord went to check on the place. It is so upsetting that anyone would do such an evil thing to innocent, helpless animals that at one time they professed to love. All they had to do was call, ask for help, and so many people and organizations would have been there for the cat and kittens.

I called Kelli and we planned to meet at 4:00 to pick them up. They were safe with food and water and Kelli was willing to foster them. When we arrived to pick them up – they were limp and dehydrated and we loaded them up, and another young male kitten, and took off for the vet. I called Siouxland Animal Hospital on the way and told them I would be arriving in 15 minutes with a mom and 3 kittens and the mom needed fluids immediately. They were ready for us when we arrived and while mom got the much needed fluids Doc did a health check on the kittens. They were checked for ring worm, etc. because their coats were very dull and mom, now named Lady, actually had patches of fur missing. She gave the kittens everything she could and more.

Kelli took them home with her and set them up with Prescription Diet W-D, KMR, and kitten dry food and water, a special pet heating pad, and lots of love. She called later to let me know they had inhaled the food and were resting comfortably.

I took little 18 week old Milo back to the store and got him settled in. He and Christmas hit it off instantly. I did the evening chores and fed everyone supper.

Monday nights are Lar’s bowling nights so I lingered at the store to interact with all the kids. Viola’s boys, Tim, Tom and Jerry are doing very well and will make wonderful new family members for someone.

Time to go home. I have no plans but I am sure there will be something for me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment