Monday, March 8, 2010

Friday, March 5th

What a great day!

It all started when this wonderful lady from Salix(she called yesterday) came to the store at 9:30 with Teva. Teva's mom lived in Oregon and recently passed away from lung cancer and moved to Iowa with her aunt. Unfortunately, her aunt wasn't able to keep her and wasn't sure what to do until she saw the KTIV intereview about Siouxland Paw Prints Rescue. She was so happy to find an organization with so much compassion and integrity that she could trust to take Teva in and find her a new home.

Teva and I headed to the vet after the aunt left to get her health check. She spent the day there with the team at the clinic and came home later in the afternoon with a negative feline leuk/aides test, a Rabies vaccination, and a new microchip. I will give her combo vaccination Saturday morning - remember to save money.

Teva is about 5 years old with beautiful long black hair. She is gentle and loving but a bit nervous and shy which is to be expected from all the changes occuring in her life. I'm sure we will find the perfect match for her very soon.

As soon as I returned to the store the door started turning. A sweek lady that had called earlier in the week stopped in to see what litter mates we had. Trying to decide between Abby and Clyde or Honey and Opal was difficult. They all tried to give her love and cuddle with her on the sofa.

Mary S. came in needing some help with a big boy cat named Clew. It seems Mary and Clew had crossed paths for some time in her neighborhood before he decided to call Mary's home his home. He is suspected to be between 2 and 3 years, unaltered, and full of energy, if you know what I mean. He has a damaged ear due to an altercation with another wild guy out htere and isn't the handsomest but Mary loves him just the same.

I offered to help her with the expense of the neuter, a blood test, and vaccinations for $20.00 and she quickly took me up on the offer. We filled out the voucher and I called the vet to schedule the sugery for the 17th. Mary will not miss the appointment and will gladly help Paw Prints in the future it I need her.

Meanwhile our lady looking for litter mates was so impressed with the store and all the cats. She has a four day weekend coming up and will be back to get her two new family members then so that she can help them settle into their new home. Whoever she chooses will have a great new home.

Sharon and Roger came in to help with the cleaning. Remember they had just shampooed the carpet the night before and did a great job. Today, was window washing day. Roger is so thorough and detailed. He is one of the nicest people I have every met. Sharon too.

Sharon will help at the store this weekend. She is a long time cat lover and is great with customers and her help gives me a break to work on other things - like cleaning at home, etc.

Several more people came throughout the afternoon. A mother and daughter came in and fell in love and adopted our little Sparrow. I knew she would be adopted quickly. What a lucky little gire. She is coming back next Friday so I can give her a combo shot. She just had a major deworming at the vets and they recommended holding off with the vaccination for a week. No problem.

I left the store at 3:00 to run home and let Cooper out to go potty and then ran over to Viola's. The most amazing thing happened. I put out the canned food topped with some fresh cut up turkey from Viola's kitchen and the illusive Nancy walked over, let me pick her up and put her in a kennel and she was caught! For 5-6 weeks she wouldn't let me touch her and today I was able to pick her up!! Shocking!!!

Sunday, I will go back to Viola's for the three boys - all of who sit on my lap and love being petted and cuddled. They have all been neutered and vaccinated in the past but will go to the vets on Monday for blood tests, current vaccinations and microchips and then back to the store to settle in. I think they are going to do very well and be happy to be out of the garage.

I called Mike, the cat whisperer, but he was busy until 8:00 tonight so I met Leah, his wife at the store. She has some extra time and is going to help at the store. I want and need to keep it open seven days a week but need help to do that. She is willing and able and can help in many ways. She took Nancy back to her house and reunited her with the three little black and white kids from the other day. I know they will work their magic on the four and they will be up for adoption at the store before long.

Just before Leah left Mary V came in. Mary is another volunteer that I am indebted to. She is very helpful and passionate about Paw Prints mission. She retires from teaching fourth drade at the end of this year after teaching for 30 years. Wow! She is looking forward to helping this summer in a greater capacity and we welcome her with open arms. She is one of the great ladies.

Mary helped me get supper ready for the kids and do a final litter box cleaning. It is my date night with Lar and I needed to leave for the night. We locked up and each headed in different directions.

Lar and I headed to the mall theatres to see "Alice in Wonderland" in 3-D. Much darker than I thought it would be but very well done. I thought it was one of the best movies of the year, so far.

Lar went with me to the store to turn off the back lights and do a final check and then we went to Perkins for coffee so I could stay awake to type this entry. I have made a commitment to keep this journal and will do so. I think I will enjoy looking back at the end of the year and hope to keep you entertained with what goes on for me at Paw Prints each day.

The cats need us. We need to give of ourselves to make a difference. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment